It takes more than obtaining your food handler card to be a great server. Some servers take their tips for granted, but you should always strive to earn the tip you receive when your customers finish their meal. If you want to excel in the industry and become the best server possible, consider these suggestions after you have your food handler certification.
Greet guests in a timely manner. No one wants to be left waiting, so be attentive and greet new guests within 3 to 5 minutes of being seated.
- Make sure the table is set. If you need to pull up an extra chair or grab more utensils, do so quickly so the party can be seated.
- Remember that you represent the restaurant. You may not be the owner or chef, but you are the face the customer sees. After all, you hold a valid food handler card that accredits you as a knowledgeable member of the staff , so use positive phrases like “I can,” “I will,” and “I have,” instead of “Hang on,” “Let me check,” or “I don’t know.”
- Be familiar with the menu. An important part of having a food handler card is to know the menu and have a favorite entrée or two to recommend. When you simply say, “Everything is great,” you convey that you haven’t tried the dishes, that you’re too lazy to remember the names, or that you fear the customer won’t like what you recommend. Remember, your opinion matters!
- Check on your guests often. Never let a customer see the bottom of an empty glass. Ask if there is anything else you can bring out. Clear away empty plates, always double checking with the customer to verify they have finished. These are the most important tasks of a server with a food handlers card.
- Stay positive! They may not teach you this when you get a food handler card, but customers count on a happy server to bring out their meals. Not every day will be perfect, but if you’re having a bad day, you may find that smiling actually makes you feel better!
- At the close of the meal, treat your customers like house guests. As you hand over the check, give a positive send-off such as: “Thank you; we hope to see you again soon!”
At Premier Food Safety, we have more than 35 years of training experience, five exam languages to choose from, the lowest prices in the industry and a satisfaction guarantee. For all the training and knowledge you need to get your food handler card, register with Premier Food Safety today. Learn more about the qualifications to work in the restaurant business by finding us on Facebook and Twitter.