Does Premier Food Safety Offer Online Training to obtain a Food Handlers Card for All States?
We currently offer online food handler training courses that are accepted in the states of California, Florida and Texas, Kane County in Illinois, Kansas City, MO, and Anchorage, Alaska. For specific information regarding certification requirements for each state, please contact your local health department.
How long is the training? The duration of the online course varies depending on the Food Handler Training course you choose. Online training programs for different states and counties have different requirements.
Do I have to complete the training all at once?
No, you may start training and review a few chapters, log out of your account and resume your training at a different time. All your progress will be saved.
When will I get my Food Handler Card?
You will be able to print your Food Handler Card as soon as you finish the training and pass the final exam. In some cases, you may be required to bring your printed food handler card to the local health department to receive a food handler card issued by them.
I need to get my Food Handler Card but I do not have a computer, what can I do?
Unfortunately, we only offer the Food Handler’s training online at the moment; therefore you need a computer in order to get the certificate.
Here are a few suggestions to complete your training:
- Go to your local library – computers are available for use to the public.
- Ask a friend if you could borrow their computer for a few hours.
- Talk to your supervisor about using a computer at work.
What if I don’t have a printer at home to print my Food Handler Card?
If you don’t have access to a computer with a printer, you can still take the training online and, once you have passed the test, we can mail a printed copy of your Food Handler Card for an additional fee of $5.
I am a Food Manager or employer and would like to pay for my employees’ training. What training options are available?
We offer group discounts for the online training course. As an administrator of an account, you are able to monitor the progress of each one of your employees and have access to their Food Handlers Card. For more information please call 1-800-676-3121.
What is the difference between a Food Manager Certification and a Food Handler Card?
Though terminology may vary depending on the state or county where you work, the Food Manager Certification usually refers to a more advanced, more comprehensive type of training that is mainly designed for owners and managers. In California, for example, the Food Manager Certification designates a state requirement mandating that at least one employee or owner per food establishment passes an accredited food safety examination, whereas the Food Handler Card refers to a less comprehensive training that is mandatory for all employees who come in direct contact with unpackaged food.
Other states, however, use the term food handler certification to refer to the food manager certification. For information specific to the state you work in, please contact your local health department.
What are the System Requirements?
You will be able to easily navigate the course as long as your computer meets the following requirements:
- Computer Hardware - Either a Personal Computer (PC) or a Macintosh running Windows 2000 or XP.
- An E-mail Account – Click here for
instructions on how to set one up in 4 easy steps.
- Internet Connectivity - A high speed internet connection (cable modem) is strongly recommended.
- Web Browser: You can use any of the following browsers and the indicated version.
- Google Chrome Browser (recommended) - Click here to
download for free.
- Mozilla Firefox Browser (recommended) – Click here to
download for free.
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 8
- Adobe Flash Player - The latest version of Adobe Flash Player can be downloaded for free by clicking here.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader - Click here to download the latest version for free.
- Speakers for the online course's audio are optional.
- A printer is highly recommended, since you will need to download and print the Certificate of Completion for the Food Handler Card Training.