||All food service establishments, except Category III facilities, shall have a certified food service sanitation manager on the premises at all times.
The Food Sanitation Certification shall be achieved by completing an approved course and a monitored examination.
|Approved Certification Exams
||ServSafe, Prometric, NRFSP and 360 Training
|Food Safety Training Requirement
||8 hours of training from a state-approved program.
||$52 certificate payable to Malcolm X College (Only for students working in the City of Chicago).
*City of Chicago fee not included in our certification packages.
ServSafe & Prometric Certifications
- • Valid in Illinois and the City of Chicago
- • Instructor-led Class or Online Training
- • Proctored Certification Exam
- • $52 City of Chicago Health Department Fee not included
770 Lake Cook Rd.
One North LaSalle St, Suite 2300,
7501 N. University
239 S. Lewis Lane Suite A,
1919 SOUTH HIGHLAND AVE BLDG B,
2405 E Federal Dr,
And Many More!
How can I get my certificate?
To obtain a Food Sanitation certification in the state of Illinois, you must:
- 1. Complete a state-approved 8-hour Food Service Sanitation Manager Certification course
- 2. Successfully pass a state examination with a score of at least 75%
- 3. For City of Chicago students, pay a $52 certificate fee to the the Malcolm X College for the issuance of a City of Chicago certificate*.
The State of Illinois requires all Food Safety Certification training to be supervised by an Illinois certified program administrator or instructor,
such as Premier Food Safety. To register for one of our training and certification programs,
please visit our registration page.
*The health department fee is not included in our City of Chicago certification packages. Students must submit an application and pay this fee directly to Malcolm X College.
Do I need to have a Certified Food Protection Manager employed before I open my business?
Yes. New food service establishments shall have a Certified Food Protection Manager from the initial day of operation or shall provide
documentation of enrollment in an approved course to be completed within three months. Food service establishments that are not in compliance with this
because of employee turnover must hire another Certified Food Protection Manager within three months.
How long is my
Certified Food Protection Manager Certificate valid for?
Your certificate will be valid for 5 years from the date it was issued. After that, you will be required to renew it.
Are any establishments exempt from the Certified Food Protection Manager requirement?
Yes, according to the Illinois Food Code, Category III establishments are exempt from this certification requirement. Category III are those establishments
- Only pre-packaged foods are available or served in the facility, and any potentially hazardous foods available are commercially pre-packaged in an approved processing plant;
- Only limited preparation of non-potentially hazardous foods and beverages, such as snack foods and carbonated beverages, occurs at the facility; or
- Only beverages (alcoholic and non-alcoholic) are served at the facility.