Virginia Food Safety Certification
|All food establishments handling open, potentially hazardous food must have one certified food manager on staff per facility. Students must obtain a Food Manager Certification from an approved and accredited program.|
Approved Certification Exams
|ANAB-CFP Accredited Certification exams such as ServSafe, NRFSP, Always Food Safe, AboveTraining, 360 Training, and Prometric|
Food Safety Training Requirement
|In some counties|
|5 years statewide. Specific counties vary.|
Some local jurisdictions have their own training and certification requirements.
Please contact your local health authority for more information.
Get ServSafe® Certified Now!
In-Person or Online Training and Exam Options
- First Time or Renewal
- Instant Results Available
- Available in English, Spanish, and Korean.
Is there a minimum hours of training to obtain the food manager certification?
Yes – for certain counties. Food establishments operating in Cheseapeake require 16 hours of training for first time certifications and 4 hours training for recertification. Please check with your local health department for the training requirements in your county.
When does the Food Manager Certification expire?
This is dependent on the county in which you live. Food establishments operating in Fairfax County need to renew their certification every 5 years. Certified food managers in Chesapeake need to renew their certification ever 3 years. Please check your local health department as the expiration date varies from 3 to 5 years, depending on county.
Does the certified food manager need to be present at the food facility at all times?
Yes - for certain counties. Food establishments operating in Fairfax County must be under the immediate supervision of a Certified Food Manager during all hours of operation. Please check with your local health department.
Do I have to register with the Environmental Health Services or get a card after I pass my exam?
This is dependent on county. It is recommended that you contact your local health department as they do have different requirements.
What training and certification options do you offer in Virginia?
- Online or In-Person Food Manager Training: Choose from in-person, live classes with an food safety expert or a self-paced online training course, which incorporates media-rich learning experiences: graphics, audio and interactive learning exercises. We strive to offer our students maximum flexibility when choosing the training option that best suits your needs.
- Online Study Guide: A 20+ page study resource which covers many of the important core FDA food concepts. The study guide also includes Top 5 Tips to Passing the Food Manager Exam and Practice Exam.
- Food Manager Exam: We offer the nationally accredited ServSafe exam, which is administered either in-person at the end of each of our classes, or online by a registered proctor with ProctorU. Attend any of our scheduled classes, or schedule the certification exam for a date and time of your choice and take it from the comfort of your home. Get your results the same day!