Massachusetts Food Safety Certification
|Each food establishment must have at least one on-site person in charge who is a certified food protection manager through passing a food safety certification test from an accredited program, such as ServSafe or Prometric.|
Approved Certification Exams
|ServSafe, Prometric, NRFSP and 360 Training|
Food Safety Training Requirement
Get Certified Now!
- Online Training and Proctored Exam
- Over 1,100 Locations
How does a food manager obtain his/her food safety certification?
A Person-In-Charge (PIC) becomes a certified food protection manager by passing an accredited exam from Prometric or ServSafe. Upon passing one of the accredited exams the PIC will receive a certificate and will be in compliance with the certification requirement. Although training is not a Massachusetts requirement, it is strongly recommended. Premier Food Safety offers an online training program as well as a Premier Study Guide to prepare managers for their food manager exam.
Which establishments need to be certified?
All food establishments must have a certified food protection manager except the following:
- Temporary food establishments operated by non-profit organizations
- Daycare operations which prepare and/or serve only snacks
- Food establishments which sell only pre-packaged food
- Food establishments with limited preparation of non-potentially hazardous food
- Food establishments which prepare and serve USDA meat and poultry products containing 120 PPM nitrite and 3.5% brine concentration, such as hotdogs.
- Satellite feeding sites receiving prepared meals from commissaries for immediate service.
Does the Certified Food Protection Manager need to be present at the food facility at all times?
No but when the certified PIC is unavailable during operating hours, an alternate PIC must be assigned. The alternate PIC does not require certification; however, this person must be knowledgeable in food safety, food borne illness prevention and corrective actions. This person must be at least eighteen years of age and be a full-time equivalent on-site manager or supervisor.
Are there minimum hours of training to obtain the food manager certification?
Training is not a requirement in Massachusetts, but it is strongly recommended. Premier Food Safety offers an online training program as well as a Premier Study Guide to prepare managers for their food manager certification exam.