New Jersey Food Protection Course
|At least one person in charge in Risk Type 3 Food Establishments must be a certified food protection manager by passing a food safety certification examination administered by an accredited program recognized by the Conference for Food Protection.|
Approved Certification Exams
|ANAB-CFP Accredited Certification exams such as ServSafe, NRFSP, Always Food Safe, AboveTraining, 360 Training, and Prometric|
Food Safety Training Requirement
Get ServSafe® Certified Now!
Online Training and Exam Options
- First Time or Renewal
- Instant Results Available
- Available in English and Spanish.
How does a food manager become a Certified Food Protection Manager?
A person may become a Certified Food Protection Manager by successfully passing an examination given by an approved Conference for Food Protection organization such as Prometric, ServSafe, NRFSP or 360 Training. Premier Food Safety offers the Prometric examination to all food managers.
What is a Risk Type 3 Food Establishment?
A Risk Type 3 Food Establishment means any retail food establishment that:
- Has an extensive menu which requires the handling of raw ingredients; and is involved in the complex preparation of menu items that includes the cooking, cooling, and reheating of at least three or more potentially hazardous foods; or
- Prepares and serves potentially hazardous foods including the extensive handling of raw ingredients; and whose primary service population is a highly susceptible population.
- Such establishments may include, but are not limited to, full service restaurants, diners, commissaries, and catering operations; or hospitals, nursing homes, and preschools preparing and serving potentially hazardous foods.
When does the Food Protection Manager Certification expire?
The Food Manager Certification expires every 5 years (statewide regulation), but please check with your local health department for recertification terms.
Does the Certified Food Protection Manager need to be present at the food facility at all times?
Yes. At least one person in charge must be a Certified Food Protection Manager and be present during all hours of operation.
What training and certification options do you offer in New Jersey?
- Online Food Manager Training: A self-paced online training, which incorporates media-rich learning experiences: graphics, audio and interactive learning exercises. Highly effective educational learning program.
- Online Study Guide: A 20+ page study resource which covers many of the important core FDA food concepts. The study guide also includes Top 5 Tips to Passing the Food Manager Exam and Practice Exam.
- Food Manager Exam: We offer the nationally accredited ServSafe exam, which is administered online by a registered proctor with ProctorU. Schedule the certification exam for a date and time of your choice and take it from the comfort of your home. Get your results the same day!